Saturday, September 19, 2015

Merdeka Weekend Baking - Kuih Bahulu

Oh my gosh!

I don't know where to start with this Kuih Bahulu. It was a disaster getting them out of the mould. I don't know what went wrong. The moulds were heated properly and greased with loads of cooking oil but they were so stubborn!

In the end, I turned over the mould like how you would with chiffon cake to remove the cakes. The last four cakes came out fine. However, the second time I made this I turned over the mould but faced the same freaking problem.





After studying some recipes, I get think the cakes have to be removed from the mould immediately when it's hot out of the oven. I have never tried this but it may very well be a problem with the recipe or the mould.

This is a modern kuih bahulu recipe where you don't have to fry the flour beforehand. This recipe is adapted from Y3K New Year Cookies.

Ingredients:
(A)
5 large eggs
160g caster sugar

(B)
200g AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Method:


Preheat kuih bahulu moulds at 200C. Sift the flour and baking powder. Combine (A) in the mixer and whisk until light and fluffy. Fold in (B) in three batches.


Remove mould from oven and grease with vege oil. Spoon in batter into mould. Bake in preheated oven at 175C until golden brown.

Remove with toothpicks.

---------------------------------------------------

The kuih tastes best on the day it's baked and slightly softer and spongier after a few days.

Hard time removing the cakes. Last four were ok. The rest are messed up!
I hope you have better luck than me in removing the kuihs! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment